Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Monky Me

C.N. Parkinson's (1909-1993) first law reads "Work Expands so as to fill the Time Available for its completion". An example of this law, if a meeting is scheduled for 2 hours, we will take 2 hours to talk and finish the meeting. If for the same meeting 45 minutes is scheduled, we will "only" take 45 minutes.


What still puzzles me is the time I invest in my projects. For example, definition of happiness in ancient Egypt, Cabo Verde maps before 1900, the wind that blows me in a new track of books to explore. Generalized this law must read (c) JeanD99: The Demand Upon the Resource Time Tends to Increase to Match the Urgency. 

I never have time to read or start a new project but time and again I feel suddenly an urgency so strong that I will skip all the other activities for days (sometimes weeks) and invest all my time in this project. This project is always new, exciting and urgent. And gives me great satisfaction. Monastic (say "monky") me.

P.S. I wrote on this before in my blog 'Still there? It's about you too' (September 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment